Friday, May 26, 2017

The Joy Luck Club As a Whole


Throughout the short stories of the young women in The Joy Luck Club, it describes the relationships between mothers and daughters and the thought of these relationships is upsetting because children have to suffer due to how “perfect” that child has to be in order to please their family. Furthermore, the short stories demonstrate the Chinese cultures and struggles that the person must go through to satisfy their parents. The Joy Luck Club caused me to reflect on the connection that I have with my mother. The short stories in the book made me believe even more that I should be appreciative for the belongings that I have and the things that people give me. I can relate to Waverly Jong in the beginning of her story because she says that her mom expects her to learn many things and my mom requires me to learn all types of activities due to the fact that she believes that it is the best for me and she always ends up being right. 
One of the best parts of the stories is when Lindo Jong leaves her marriage because she does not want to be married. So, she tells her mother-in-law that her marriage will turn out bad unless she lets her leave the marriage. Afterward, her mother-in-law lets her get out of the marriage, but it is kept a secret. A worst part of the stories is when the baby drowned and the family saw the baby drown, but they did not do anything about it. Also, when Huang Tai-Tai treated his daughter with disrespect. Such as, instead of treating her as a daughter, he treated her as a slave. 

The ending was outstanding due to the fact that Jing-Mei Woo had the chance to meet her two sisters which her mother had left behind in China. In total, I would rate The Joy Luck Club a 3.9 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment